Saturday, March 26, 2011

Interview: MOWGLI

Italian born DJ and producer Mowgli began his career humbly in the north Italian village where he grew up. With few nightclubs to really get lost in and no happening music scene to speak of, Mowgli felt compelled to make his own sounds and made do with a cheap keyboard and sampler. It wasn’t long before he discovered hip-hop, immersing himself in the lifestyle and culture before moving to pastures new in Bologna. Once there, Mowgli indulged in all manner of illegal rave diversions until fixing up and making the move to the London in 2006.

Mowgli has spent the past four years consistently creating high level quality productions spanning many different genres of electronic dance music. His own distinctively groovy sound stands out from the rest, making him one of most sought after producers worldwide - with remix requests and releases from artists including X-Press 2, Santogold, Martin Solveig, Armand Van Helden, Tommy Sparks and Tricky amongst many others.

After starting his own label "DeadFish" back in 2008, the label has gone from strength to strength. Releases like “London To Paris”, “I Want Everything”, “We Think Its Cool” and “Caraibi” have really pricked the ears of the industry and grabbed the attention of the underground house scene.

Supported by radio play from the likes of Pete Tong, Annie Mac, Xfm and Kiss, releases from the label have commanded attention the world over.

Back on the DJ front, tours of Europe have seen Mowgli grace the decks regularly in the best European clubs and festivals. As well as this, tours of Australia, South and North America, South Africa and Asia where always an enormous success and other visits in these countries are planned in the coming year.

2011 will see Mowgli immersing himself in deeper shades of house and techno, whilst still retaining his unique sound and sense of fun that he and the Deadfish label have become known for.

(source: Mainstage Artists)


-----------------


Interview: (by Omar Diouf + Alexander Leblanc)


DUKES: When and how did you first get into production/DJ and what still motivates you to do it today ?

I started doing hip hop beats when I was around 15-16 years old with an old sampler and a keyboard. The result wasn't that great of course, but I really loved being in studio and experiment with sounds and I guess its what motivate me still today... I simply need to make music to be happy


DUKES: Who were your early musical influences?

When I was a kid it was black music of the 60's and 70's, my dad is a great fan and I grew up listening to Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett and Aretha Franklin but also a lot of jazz and blues... later when I started to buy music it was hip hop and later on break beat and drum n bass, and after that felt in love with the chicago house...


DUKES: What is the perfect setting for your music to come to life ? In other words, whats your ideal spot for producing?

Its my bedroom! or if its a studio it has to be in my house... I had studios out of my house, but I dont get in the same mood and I am also less productive... when I have those really good writing periods the first thing I do when I wake up is turning my mac on and check if what I did the night before is still sounding good with fresh ears. I cant do that with a studio out of my house.




DUKES: Which upcoming artist would you say is an inspiration nowadays in electronic music? Who do you think we should keep an eye on?

there are many good artists that are inspirational to me and from different type of music, I cant really name one


DUKES: Have you ever been to Montreal before ? If so, how does it compare to other cities? If not, what have you heard about our scene here?

Yes I played six months ago, its not very different from europe, you can see the french influence. Your music scene is pretty healthy, I dont know many underground acts but I know Turbo is there, I know A-trak and his brother from Chromeo are from there... I'm surely missing many friends... sorry!


DUKES: Do you have any advice for young producers?

Do what you like and not whats cool at the moment, you could be the next cool thing


DUKES: What is your favorite city or country to play in?

I think Italy, Germany and Ibiza, I like that way of partyng , clubs close very late , crowd is more mature and up for everything




DUKES: What are the top 3 most-played tracks/artists on your iPod at the moment?

Still Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett and Aretha Frankiln


DUKES: Describe yourself in one word.

hothandsomesexyitalianstallion


DUKES: What's the scene like in Italy today? How has it changed over the past few years?

Its pretty healthy, there are so many new producers I dont even know half of them... what has changed is that internationally there has been a shift from the minimal sound to the more housy sound and this is reflected in italy too...  we dont have a big variety of music genres, we dont have a big dubstep or drum n bass scene... its all about techno and house


DUKES: What should we expect from your set on April 1st?

sexy groovy music


DUKES: Any new projects coming up?

I am writing lots of music at the moment that will maybe lead to an album


DUKES: Last but not least, why 'MOWGLI' ?

Well its my nickname, this is how all my friends called me way before I had my first record comin out,
so when I signed my first ep I thought it was an abvious choice. The reason of the nickname though I cant tell, it would ruin my already bad reputation :-)


-----------------


Our friends over at NEON + HIGHFOOD + NIGHT TRACKIN' have a fantastic April Fool's Party organized for you guys, Friday April 1st, at Le Belmont. (Check out Le Polyscope's article 'Le Printemps au Belmont')


with Mowgli, Night Trackin' DJs (Seb Diamond + Duvall) & Prince Club !

Tickets are only $15.50 + SV, get 'em via:

Paypal: http://bit.ly/fekTQF
Wantickets: http://bit.ly/gVvGfW

MOOG Audio: 3828 Saint-Laurent
Atom Heart: 364-B Sherbrooke E
Off The Hook: 1021a Sainte-Catherine O
Cheap Thrills: 2044 Metcalfe


Facebook Event:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=145994972129557



-----------------

Links:

Beatport
residentadvisor.net/dj/mowgli
myspace.com/mowglimusik
twitter.com/MOWGLI4EVA
facebook.com/mowgli4eva
deadfish-audio.com

iloveneon.ca
highfood.org
nighttrackin.com


No comments:

Post a Comment