Saturday, March 5, 2011

Interview: Matt Tolfrey (UK, Leftroom)


BIOGRAPHY:

"Growing up in the Middle East it wasn’t until he returned home that his career started in Nottingham with residencies at the historic club the Bomb and more recently at Stealth. Here in the heart of the city’s club culture is where he continues to hold a residency. This quickly led to regular slots at Fabric and further afield in the USA and Germany.

Always keen to experiment with new ideas and take risks he started the Leftroom label in 2005 with his own productions beginning to see releases on reputable labels such as Crosstown Rebels and Skint. Tolfrey sought after an avenue to release his peer’s music and open up opportunities for friends that he believed in.

The first release was entitled ‘The Extended Family EP’ encapsulating the spirit of Leftroom, a place where a core set of artists could grow and experiment with their sound. The Leftroom family now consists of a few key artists now including MarcAshken, Inxec, Eric Johnston and Glimpse.

After remarkable success with the first few releases and securing a homegrown and exceptional roster Tolfrey was asked to commence a label night at T Bar, London’s hub of creativity in the house and techno scene. Hosting nights alongside those of Andrew Weatherall, Ivan Smagghe and Craig Richards allowed Tolfrey to invite and play with friends and muses while sharing memorable dancefloor moments.

As his plan to achieve global domination took firm root, two more sub-labels were born into the family. Leftroom Limited has the purpose of releasing peak-time records while Leftout is a home for lesser-known artists who deserve some attention. He also runs Is This label and has proved his A&R capabilities are pin-point securing one of 2007’s biggest tracks, Ito & Star’s ‘Suduko Kid’ and one of 2008’s biggest crossover tracks, Rocha and Lewinger’s ‘Down Seq’.

Alongside propelling three labels Tolfrey also DJs globally with notable gigs for Sunday School for Degenerates in Miami, regular dates at Fabric, Mulletover in Ibiza and Panorama Bar and Watergate in Berlin amongst many. His productions and remixes have been released on Cocoon Recordings, Crosstown Rebels, Get Physical and Saved and he has collaborated with MarcAshken, Inxec, Glimpse, Eric Johnston and Delete.

So how did he come so far so quickly? The answer is simple. Matt is a workaholic with a seemingly tireless dedication to forging his own unique style and bringing life to the scene around him. Drawing on everything from deep house and techno, through to stripped down beats, he's spawned his own hybrid strain of electronic funk. Anyone lucky enough to have already witnessed Matt in action will know that his particular brand of wobbly house and techno has the power to win hearts and destroy minds on the dance floor.
" (source: RA)

---------------------


INTERVIEW: (by Omar Diouf + Alexander Leblanc)


DUKES: Hello Matt ! First of all…we are here to talk about Music, a passion we all share so what I want to ask you is, how did you first get into production/DJ and what still motivates you to do it today?

MATT TOLFREY: My cousin was a dj, and I always used to go on his decks when I was younger.  It wasn’t until I was 18 that I bought my first pair of turntables, but by then I had been going to nightclubs for 2 years and was already hooked on the music. I don’t think I will ever stop djing, it find it the best way for me to express how I am feeling at that moment in time. Production wise I am still new to it all, so I think it is the fact that I am learning so much all the time that is my motivation to carry on. The feeling that I am getting better at it after each session is also great.


DUKES: What is the perfect setting for Matt music to come to life ? In other words, what's your ideal spot for producing?

At the moment i am working with a great engineer named Justin Drake of Peace Division fame out at his studio which is great.  As long as it is not a Monday and I am tired after the weekend, and I have cups of tea at the ready, I’m good to go!!!


DUKES: Have you ever been to Montreal before ? What have you heard about our scene here, compared to the US or Europe ?

I have played at Stereo and also at Igloofest in Montreal so I know a little about the city and its scene.  It seems to be full of creative/artistic people, and is going from strength to strength. The igloo fest was a prime example of this.  I am very good friends with Maher Daniel also who is one of the bookers at Stereo and we are actually working on a lot of music together at the moment.


DUKES: Which upcoming artist would you say is an inspiration nowadays in electronic music ?

That is a hard one, but I do love Deniz Kurtel and Maya Jane Coles work at the moment. They both have a way with music that only a women can conjure up, a female touch per say that is very sexy.


DUKES: Do you have a date in our city soon ?

I am just looking into a date in September in Montreal as part of the Leftroom Sessions tour I am doing with Maya Jane Coles, so fingers crossed.


DUKES: Any new projects coming up ? Collaborations ?

I am starting to get alot more solo work done, firstly with remixes, then some solo singles. I love doing collaborations but I felt it was time to definitely get some solo stuff out there. Collaborations wise I am still working with Inxec and I have some exciting stuff coming with Lazaro Casanova and Montreal’s Maher Daniel.  As part of the Leftroom Sessions tour in September there will also be a Leftroom release by Maya and Myself.  So far it is panning out as we will both record the same vocals, and she will use mine and I will use hers, or we will use both of them each, but let’s see what happens as it is much further along this year.

---------------------

Links:
myspace.com/matttolfrey
residentadvisor.net/dj/matttolfrey
discogs.com/artist/matt+tolfrey
twitter.com/therealtolfrey
www.leftroom.com/

Beatport





No comments:

Post a Comment