Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Interview: TOM ELLIS (UK, Trimsound)



Introduced to the scene in 2003, with releases on Mindtours and Morris/Audio citysport, he enveloped himself in the world of electronic music and embraced the technology behind it.

His recent live project with Leif, co-founder of his label Trimsound, has taken him all over the world headlining some high profile club nights in Tokyo, Cologne, Munich, Budapest, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Leeds, Bristol and more.

His unique blend of funked-up, jazz-inspired house and techno can be found on such labels as Logistic Records, Hartchef Discos, Floppy Funk, Mindtours, Frankie, True to Form and many more, including a lot of the growing underground netlabels. (source: trimsound.co.uk)

--------------------

Interview: (by Omar Diouf + Alexander Leblanc)

DUKES: When and how did you first get into production/DJ and what still motivates you to do it today?

Tom Ellis: I think I was about 16 when I got my first sampler. I've been completely obsessed with the idea of making music ever since. My dad used to put on big parties up in the woods around north Wales, so I'd sometimes get the chance to play a few records in some crazy settings. It all grew from those experiences and a kind of never ending quest to try and improve my work.


DUKES: Who were your early musical influences?

I was a rocker for a long time. Hendrix was, and still is, one of my favourites. Flea from Red Hot Chilli Peppers got me hooked on the bass guitar. I looked into a lot of his influences and found a whole world of funk that blew me away. Then it was people like Akufen that drew me further into the house and techno scene. And of course Leif, who i run Trimsound with, my brother Joe, Steevio and a few of our mates that DJ.


DUKES: What is the perfect setting for your music to come to life ? In other words, whats your ideal spot for producing?

In the hills, in the middle of nowhere, with no one around. Where you can make as much noise as you want and totally zone out without any distractions. On the other hand, anywhere that's got a good coffee machine and an big ashtray will do, ha.


DUKES: Which upcoming artist would you say is an inspiration nowadays in electronic music? Who do you think we should keep an eye on?

Aahhh you don't need me to tell you what to listen to, haha. But i did find a couple of amazing tracks on soundcloud recently, by a guy named Fred Baxter. He's got a really unique sound and style. Worth checking out!


DUKES: Have you ever been to Montreal before ? If so, how does it compare to other cities? If not, what have you heard about our scene here?

No, this will be my first time in Canada. From what i hear it's a nice small intimate kind of scene, is that right? You guys are breeding some great producers over there though!


DUKES: How do you like the sounds coming out of Montreal these days?

Archipel has always been one of my favourite labels, along with Musique Risqueé. Akufen, Pheek and Mossa, are three of my favourite producers.


DUKES: Do you have any advice for young producers?

Turn off the TV.


DUKES: What is your favorite city or country to play in?

I love playing anywhere. It's really nice to travel and get to see so many different places. There's a great crew around Rotterdam, and a real cool lively crowd in Leeds, and pretty much everywhere i've
played around Germany, especially around Frankfurt and Offenbach, oh and Tokyo is amazing... pfff everywhere man. Earth is a pretty cool place :)


DUKES: What are the top 3 most-played tracks/artists on your iPod at the moment?

Miles Davis "So What" & "All Blues" and Bill Evans "Israel". They blow me away every time i listen to them! I'll never get tired of those 3!


DUKES: Describe yourself in one word.

Hmmmm...


DUKES: Any likes/dislikes on the scene today? How has it changed over the past few years in your opinion?

I love how friendly and enthusiastic people are about getting together and partying. It's a real blessing to be part of the scene. But I noticed everyone seems to be getting younger though...hmm..haha ;)


DUKES: What should we expect from your set tomorrow night, (April 7th) @ Salon Daome?

I'll be trying out some new stuff i've been working on, and remixing some old stuff live. I'm aiming for Post-Modern Neo-Jazzfunk with Latin nuances and maybe a 909 clap here and there.
But it'll probably just end up sounding like it always does; funky, a bit weird, sometimes jackin' and sometimes kind of deep.


DUKES: And finally, any new projects coming up?

I've got loads of grand ideas, but nothing i should commit to in text really.
I'd love to do more collaborations with live musicians, hopefully i'll get around to it one day soon.


--------------------

Don't miss Tom Ellis work his magic tomorrow night, as Fricoti celebrate their 4 Year Anniversary:

Facebook Event: 13 PERCENT & FRICOTI pres. TOM ELLIS @ Salon Daome

--------------------

Links:

www.soundcloud.com/tomellis
www.residentadvisor.net/dj/tomellis
www.myspace.com/tekengine


13 PERCENT Facebook Group


No comments:

Post a Comment