Friday, February 3, 2012

DUKEOFSWABIA.COM Podcast #001 - LOUIE FRESCO (+ Interview)


DUKEOFSWABIA.COM Podcast #001 - LOUIE FRESCO





Biography: (via theblacklegagency)

"If we can define Louie Fresco in one word it would probably be "Versatile".

This multifaceted DJ and Producer from Mexico has single handedly put his hometown Mexicali B.C. on the map with his many original tracks and remixes.

Artists like Art Department, Maya Jane Coles, Deniz Kurtel, Mark Knight, Noir, Heidi, Solomun, Miguel Campbell, Russ Yallop, Siopis, James Teej, Flight Facilities, Tale Of Us, DJ Three, J Phlip, WildKats, The Crystal Method, Felix Da Housecat, Tommie Sunshine, Dirty Vegas, Deepgroove, Oliver Klein, NASA, John Roman, Lazaro Casanova, Larry Tee, and Junior Sanchez to name a few have played Louie's remixes and songs on many events including shows like Coachella, Winter Music Conference, Get Lost, Circoloco, and South by Southwest.

His DJing skills have earned him invites to share the stage or headline events all over the world with the most eclectic group of DJs out there. DJs like Boys Noize, Crookers, Felix Da Housecat, Steve Aoki, Marco Bailey, Desyn Masiello, Popof, NOOB, Martin Eyerer, Julian Jewell, Heidi, Damian Lazarus, Magda, Marc Houle, Pier Bucci, Uffie, Sharam, MSTRKRFT, Nic Fanciulli, M.A.N.D.Y., Justin Martin, Tiesto, Toy Selectah, Nadastrom, MightyFools, The Young Punx, Le CastleVania, Audiojack, Russ Yallop, Jamie Jones, A1 Bassline, Designer Drugs, Bird Peterson, Harvard Bass, L.A. Riots, The Crystal Method, LAZRtag, Nortec, Panoptica, Tommie Sunshine, Silver Surfer, Lee Foss, Treasure Fingers, The Rapture, DJ Bam Bam, Staccato, Lazaro Casanova, Catz N Dogz, Skrillex, The Bloody Beetroots; among others, while touring all over Mexico, USA, Canada, Spain, Poland, Germany, Netherlands and Ireland. All of these in less than 3 years.

But DJing is just his "weak side". What really makes heads turn it's his production skills. Louie started making music at the age of seventeen. 11 years and hundreds of tracks later we find that he has done (and it's doing) remixes for, originals, and song collaborations with artists such as Art Department, Etienne De Crecy, Tommie Sunshine, Peaches, Felix Da Housecat, Gtronic, Lady Gaga and Michael Bolton, Young Buck (G-Unit), Lee Foss, John Roman, Sergio Santos, Russ Yallop, Bunny Lake, Hot Pink Delorean, etc.


If that is not enough to call him a versatile person, Louie sets 2011 as the year that will definitely make his hometown (and of course himself) stand out. With his new upcoming label MEXA Records almost ready to launch his first EP and many EPs from other new artists like his roomate J Mar, and many EPs and remixes from well respected producers such as Lee Foss, Gina Turner, J Phlip, Silver Surfer, Sergio Santos, Lazaro Casanova, Catz N Dogz, Sierra Sam, Thugfucker, Tale Of Us, and hopefully Jonny White from Art Department, who's attention was recently caught by Louie's music and signed him for his first ever album release on Jonny's label No.19 Music and a remix for Modern Amusement (aka Lee Foss) which has been doing amazingly well on Beatport's "Indie Dance/Nu Disco" chart currently sitting on the #1 spot and #35 on Beatport's Top 100 (and still climbing up the charts).

Still not versatile enough? Did I forget to mention that Louie has some amazing cooking skills? If you ever spend some time with him ask him to cook some "Loaded Potatoes" or his famous "Louie Fres-Canellonis"
".



Interview: (by Omar D. + Alexander Leblanc, for dukeofswabia.com)

- When and how did you first get into production/DJ and what still motivates you to do it today ?

I used to play guitar at the age of 11 but started writing songs at the age of 17, bought a Playstation 2 when I was 20 because I heard about a videogame called Music Generator 2, that was my first DAW, but since it had so many boundaries I had to jump to PC and the first DAW I knew about was FL Studio 5. I've been using it ever since.
I started DJing as a hobby but I started loving it as I got better (at least I think I did..) and right now I couldn't choose one over the other.

- Who were your early musical influences?

Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson, and Sesame Street.

- How did you meet with Number 19?

I did an original track called "Cruel", which was gonna be released under my label MEXA Records. A couple of months after I finished that tune a friend of mine came down to my apartment and told me that Lee Foss upload a video of someone called "Modern Amusement" who was also using the same vocal sample as me. So I sent both Lee and Jonny a message asking them advice on what should I do with it. Jonny told me to wait some time and then release my version. It really bummed me for a second, but after 20 minutes of putting my head around it I saw a new message from Jonny where he wanted it for the Modern Amusement EP, and the rest is history.

- You have been working on multiple projects and touring the world. How does that feel? Ever get sick of it? What's your secret ?

It feels great, I'm finally doing what I really love and enjoying every second of it, though it gets exhausting sometimes. I think my secret is that I eat way too much.

- How would you say you fit in the Number 19 Family?

Maybe cause I rock a beard..

- What is the perfect setting for your music to come to life? In other words, what’s your ideal spot for producing?

My room while my friends are in the living room and I'm heading there back and forth to grab a drink, play some videogames, or smoke something.

- Which upcoming artist would you say is an inspiration nowadays in electronic music? Who do you think we should keep an eye on?

I love everything Maceo Plex.. Oh, upcoming! There's a bunch I'd love to say but I think every one we have on the MEXA Roster will be doing big things this or next year.

- How do you like the sounds coming out of Canada these days? (Prince Club / Footprintz / Valentin Stip...)

In my opinion, Canada has always been one of the front runners of the EDM and I'm always looking up at Canada to find out who's the next amazing producer coming from the amazing country that came up with the idea of creating "Poutine".

- Do you have any advice for young producers?


Be patient and work hard. I've been doing both and it's been finally paying off.

- What is your favorite city or country to play in?


Mexico!

- What are the top 3 most-played tracks/artists on your iPod at the moment?

Junior Boys - Like a Child (Carl Craig Remix)
Crazy P - The Hit
Art Department - Touch You Gently

- Describe yourself in one word.

Lazy

- Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga?

Justin Bieber DJ Set

- What's the scene like in Mexicali today? How has it changed over the past few years?

It's great, and it's been great for many years now. The electronic dance music scene in Mexicali is starting to become much bigger. Plus, it's a really safe place to live in, and the EDM scene it's constantly and rapidly evolving so there's a lot of healthy competition between most of the DJs.

- You've been to Montreal before?

I haven't been there but I've heard many good things about Montreal's music scene, I've only been to Toronto, Vancouver, and Whistler; which is one of the most beautiful places I've been to.

- When can we expect you in Canada?

Hopefully later this year




No comments:

Post a Comment